Removed skirtings now need to tidy wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the old skirtings to be replaced with some new floor matching skirtings, but the new ones are not as high as the originals.

Behind one section of the old skirtings is a thin gap which could be skimmed to level it with the wall, but the old plaster behind is quite dry and dusty, can I just seal this with some PVA before skimming over?

In another section the old plaster was dry and crumbly and some of it has come away leaving the brick behind visible. What should I use to cover the large gaps before skimming over? Will it bond to the old plaster or should that be removed down to the brick?

Sponsored Links
PVA the lot (as in the bits behind where the skirting was, not the entire wall!) and throw some bonding plaster in the big holes to fill them, leaving it about 2mm below the level of the existing finish on the main wall. Then PVA again, overlapping on to the existing wall slightly and skim this and feather in to the existing finish.

regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back