Removing a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When removing a radiator should I cap the now dead pipes or join them together?

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't you be better off removing the pipe at the last good rad on the circuit, especially if it is a long run of dead pipe? Assuming that the dead rad is the last rad on the circuit of course.

Depends if it is a flow and return two pipe system or an old single pipe system?

Sponsored Links
softlad1971 said:
Depends if it is a flow and return two pipe system or an old single pipe system?

How do you tell?

There may be a problem if I cap them off and stop the flow to another radiator, I have turned the rad off and all the other rads still work in the house.

I'm removing the rad from my kitchen to get another base unit in, so I don't really want to be ripping it all out again if there is a problem.

[quote="softlad1971''] I have turned the rad off and all the other rads still work in the house.
[/quote]

You have answered your own question. Obviously a 2 pipe system.
Find out where they are being fed (i.e off the 22 mm tees or 15 mm tees )and cut and cap. :D

BBcode :evil:

Don`t cut or cap anything until you have drained system.

Sorry, thought it may have been a useful point, seeing as the original poster didn`t realise that turning off one rad wouldn`t affect the rest, & obviously not knowing the principles of his own central heating system.. Mind you, he probably DOES know the principle of draining down then doesn`t he.... IT`S OBVIOUS....

remove radiator, and re-connect it to a baseboard heater fitted under the new unit.

Just an idea :cool: :cool:

Just closing the radiator valves does not prove if it is a two or one pipe system. In a one pipe system, there will be a bypass pipe underneath the radiator which allows flow if the radiator is shut.

doitall said:
baseboard heater fitted under the new unit.

I've seen the dimplex leccy ones didn't relise there were others. do tell

Damn, softy beat me to it, anyway if the pipes are going to be behind a unit and your not going to use them with a kick space heater just cap off and forget, dont go ripping out anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back