removing a sink and capping off the pipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing a kitchen and kitchen sink in my new house and have to wait a week before the kitchen fitter installs a new one. I am wondering how i can cap the hot and cold pipes off to the taps so i can remove sink and continue using the water supply in the house! if any one could explain how to do this (tools equipment etc) it would be greatly appreciated

many thanks

Sponsored Links
guessing at a normal set up..

15mm pipe slice (or a hack saw and a file)
2x 15mm speed fit stop ends

look under the sink and check what pipes you are trying to cap.

if you have to adjustable spanners then the easiest would be to get a few compression caps (15 or 22mm).

These are just placed over the pipe and tightened.

Hope this helps

Alan

Sponsored Links
thanks for everyones quick response! so i basically cut the pipes with a hacksaw as close to the the tap as poss, then screw a compression fitting onto the pipe!?

if u use a hacksaw u need to file the pipes edges...so they are smooth on the outside

then either a speedfit stop end (u just push them ..all the way!) or as desc a compression caps and u do them up with a couple of spanners

As JPC said, the easiest is to cut and clean the pipes to remove sharp edges on the pipe.

Then purchase push-fit blanks (15 or 22mm), then you wont need 2 spanners.

Al

Use a mini pipe cutter £2.45 and then you won't knacker the O-rings in the pushfit fitting.

joe

thanks eveyone!!!!!!!!! how well can i trust the speed fittings are they guaranteed not to let water through if i make sure the pipe has been de burred properly? if the pipes connect to a mixer tap they will be close together, will this mean that the mini pipe cutter will not be able to turn fully around the pipe?

many thanks :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back