Removing Artex - Job I can DIY or one for the Pros?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Ok, my house is covered in artex (many designs), which is not something I really gave much thought until an ex-girlfriend one day asked why I had a shinny rainbow ceiling!

Its currently in my living room, kitchen, hall ways, stairwell and a bedroom. The rest of the house I have decorated myself and I think now its time to tackle the artex in my living room.

To be honest it doesn't bother me as I've grown up with it being here, but my Mum's old cottage themed living room does and that’s where the problem lay.

DSC00643.JPG

DSC00644.JPG

As you can see from the picks there are dirty great beams all over the end walls and I would like to take these down, but in doing so I will need to get rid of the artex as the pattern is not continued behind the beams.

I'm wondering if this is something I can do myself with…….

Option 1: Earlex SS77 stripper deluxe (argos code 711/0704 page 1090) and if this did work would the walls be smooth after or would I need to do something else to complete the job?

Option 2: Also read on this forum that someone used a sander to get rid of their artex, out of the two (stripper or sander) what would you recommend? I understand both jobs are very messy which I am prepared for, just as long as the job is do'able by an average DIY person I'm happy to give it ago.

Option 3: Polycell Smoothover

Option 4: Get the pros in, what sort of price could I expect for the following?

Details
Wall: 89" height x 149" width x 2

Thank you[/url]

Sponsored Links
dupfold said:
...an ex-girlfriend one day asked why I had a shiney rainbow ceiling!

I prefer a woman who concentrates on what she's doing.

Sponsored Links
A word of warning if you are thinking about sanding down the walls or ceilings. Up until about 1985 Artex and other such coatings contained a small amount (3-5%) of chrysotile asbestos.

Yes, unless you believe it contains asbestos - in which case take further advice and definitely don't sand it off.

After all the shipyard workers round here who's worked with it died, their wives and families died as well, just from the asbestos dust carried on their clothing and hair when they came home from work, which ended up being carried with the air around the house.

It is very unlikely that this will happen to you, but since the disease in incurable and fatal, it is better to avoid it.

I wasn't going to sand it off anyway, only steam so I take it this would be safer as dust would not be flying around?

dupfold said:
I wasn't going to sand it off anyway, only steam so I take it this would be safer as dust would not be flying around?

If you think it contains asbestos don't try to remove it yourself at all. Easier to plaster over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back