Removing bathroom wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wall the present bathroom tiles are on appears to be plasterboard and when starting to remove a handful of tiles, obviously the plaster is being removed and being taken down to strips behind (don\\\'t know what they are called). Am I right in assuming it is just tough and we will need to put new plasterboard up before retiling, what a mess?

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is a easy solution to this,properly quicker to rip the plasterboard out and renew.Most people tile over existing tiles instead.

Are you sure it's plasterboard? - the 'strips' could be laths.

I've started stripping the tiles from my bathroom. There are two layes of tiles. The top layer seems to be stuck on with some kind of resin glue and just fall of in blocks! The layer underneath also come of very easily (so far touch wood!) - in fact so far 90% of the tiles have just dropped off intact!

I have red several articles and opinion about how to remove old tiles and put new tiles. Putting new tile is easy part. Challenge is the removing old tiles. I like Masona’s idea to put new tiles on the existing one.

Sponsored Links
the weight of the tiling must be taken into account unless the background is render or brickwork etc.
plaster backgrounds are week and will only support 20 kg per sq meter and plasterboard 32 kg per sq meter.
so folks be careful tiling on tile and tiling on tile again.

paul riley

website url removed these can be shown in your profile

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back