removing cast iron bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone ever removed a cast iron bath? I've got one that i've disconnected the bolts and pipes but it won't budge. Could there be something else holding this thing in or is it just heavy? Wonder how they got it in there in the first place????

Sponsored Links
I've removed one before - they certainly are heavy. The method I opted for getting it out was one of brute force. I had no desire to keep the bath so I just smashed it up with a sledge hammer - not sure if this is a recommended method but it worked for me. Just make sure you put lots of protection around because bits fly off it!!

and ear protection! - its like hitting a church bell without the musical tone!

Some Baths are sat into brackets that are screwed to the wall so you may need to lift the bath clear of these first rather than just pull it out. Get a length of timber like a 3 X 2 and push it under the bath and use it as a lever . You may have to remove any tiles that are sat on the bath edge first.

Sponsored Links
I was faced with same problem.
My solution was to turn bath upside down and drill a series of holes approx 1/2 in diam next to each other in a line, break through to form a slot, then using steel chisel to form a wedge split the bath in to two halves.
They are supposed to be strong in compression and weak in tension but you will find they some force to break them and you will need two slots and two chisels. The more holes the easier they are to break. Cast iron needs a slow speed when drilling, start with a small drill and increase in stages.
Not easy but it can be done.
When I got the two halves in the garden where I had more room to swing the sledge hammer they broke reasonably easy
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

My brother in law, whose house and bath it is informs me that he intends on keeping the bath, it needs to be taken out for a damp course so no sledge hammering unfortunately. At the moment it won't even budge at all and it needs lifting at least 6 inches vertically to get it clear of the 4 bolts that its sitting on. Daft as it may sound i may try a car jack underneath just to get the initial movement so it's freed up at least, then probably sheer muscle I guess.

best locate the joist underneath otherwise you could be re-plastering too! That-is unless its on a solid floor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back