removing grout between tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi could any one tell me whats the best way to remove grout from between tiles as it is gone very dirty and i want to regrout them again, i have tried a grout wheel that the assistant sold me in the hardward shop but i might as well be hissing against the wind i am getting nowhere with it as the grout is like cement to remove very hard is there an easy way to do it cheers

Sponsored Links
if you got a steady hand...anglegrinder. I got a bit careless and chipped a few corners doing this (mainly because I couldnt see through the dust :) but it was nothing the new grout couldn't conceal.

b.

bananaspark said:
if you got a steady hand...anglegrinder. I got a bit careless and chipped a few corners doing this (mainly because I couldnt see through the dust :) but it was nothing the new grout couldn't conceal.
b.
I've got a steady hand but I wouldn't risk using an angle grinder. :eek:
You can buy a grout remover tool from screwfix for a few quid, but it's not a fun job. Or you could have a look at this post.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=91035

If its water proof grout that does set hard. I used a putty knife & an old file that I ground a pointed edge on.

Sponsored Links
hawthorns said:
http://www.hss.com/g/7446/Tile_Grout_Remover__Trim_Saw.html
thanks for the advice folks as firrip suggested on another post i tried this grout remover and its just great the grout came off very easy and it was as hard as a rock it took me 3 houre to do my bathroom which is 8ft by 10ft by 8ft high i thought it would take a day or more
just to expand on it a bit for those that are thinking of doing the job when i hired the tool at first i thought no ill never use this i was a bit scared i would damage the tiles and thought will i pay an expert to do it but when i started it was so easy to use ,it is light and the blade just vibrates and you just go up and down along the lines, and as you can imagine my bathroom is big and tiled from floor to ceiling and would you believe i never damaged one tile its so good and the dust is minimum in the air i hope this information is of use to some one

This thread has just made my day!!! Will hire one of those tomorrow!! I have a whole bathroom to do and just doing one tile with a normal tile scraper ruined my day!!

So happy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back