removing old plaster coving..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get some plaster coving off so I can fit a suspended ceiling. Unfortunately it just won't come off. I've been hammering at it with a 75mm brick bolster. It seems that whatever was used to put it up is stronger than the plaster itself so it just crumbles a bit at the bottom.

It there any trick to getting this stuff off? It's an original feature of the flat so has been there for about 25years. Is there some kind of power tool that a pro would use to do the job. I just can't see how it can be done.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
they dont make things like they used to, i would guess its not coving, but solid palster, which has a name i can not remember. you could always try a bigger hammer, and a sharper bolster chiesel

Solid plaster coving is called cornice, isn't it?

If it is solid plaster then perhaps if you run a small angle grinder along it parallel to the wall and then parallel to the ceiling then it will come off more easily.

Nice and cheap one that I bought and it cuts through bricks almost TOO easily!

Note: wear a good quality respirator, goggles, gloves and ear defenders when you do this. Plaster dust stings like heck, it is very bad for your lungs and angle grinders throw off sparks if you hit a nail (which is always a possibility). And they are very noisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back