1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing paint from cement

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by DawnB, 29 Jul 2003.

1. DawnB

DawnB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,

I'm just wondering what is the easiest way to remove paint from cement.

I live in a basement apartment and the floor is cement but it looks like it has been painted before. It looks terrible and I'm not willing to just cover it up with carpeting.

Dawn

2. Sponsored Links
  3. cobweb

cobweb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I can't think of any easy way to achieve this on a concrete floor. By nature concrete is textured - even if the texture is not too apparent. The paint, therefore, will have filled all the tiny imperfections in the surface and sanding, for instance, will not reach the paint in these imperfections unless you went quite deep (in sanding terms).

Maybe you could test a small hidden section of floor with a proprietory paint stripper? Doing this to a whole floor would, though, be quite a task to undertake!

What about a laminate floor covering, or tile, or floorboards?

Maybe somebody else has a better answer?

4. breezer

breezer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    paint over it? (in cement colour)

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local