Removing paint from metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I am about to start removing old, thick paint from metal window & window frame fittings. These fittings should allow a window to be lifted up and then swing inwards vertically (like a door opening). The paint looks like old gloss / emulsion & is quite thick in most places. Seems the previous occupants of my flat must have just painted over all the original fittings again & again. So often that now some of the fitting do not work properly: main problem is that paint has accumulated on the 'barrel' (or bolt - I am making up terms here!) and stops the windows going back into their fully closed state (i.e. there is a small gap between the windows & frame on the bottom).

Whatever, that's the background - the question is: whats the best (easiest & cheapest) way to remove this paint? I can take off the fittings easily enough (after scraping any the paint over the screws).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Eddie

Sponsored Links
Paint stripper gel - Nitromors, Polystrippa - lots of brands. Brush it on, scrape off the paint when it is softened and bubbles. For your job you will want small fine scrapers and wire brush. Be careful not to get it on your skin (it burns) and EXTREMELY CAREFUL NOT TO GET IT IN YOUR EYES. It will splash and flick about when you are scraping it. You will have to use several applications to get all the coats off. Don't let it dry. If the metal windows are galvanised or aluminium, try not to scratch them. A stiff brush (not nylon!) can get the softened paint out of small crevices or moving parts. Was down afterwards according to the instructions. You can smooth off the traces with wire wool.

If you have small removable parts you can drop them in a glass jar of stripper.

Wear long sleeves, gloves, eye protection, hat; and keep some water and a sponge handy to get it off your skin and clothes. Wash your clothes soon afterwards.

Ive always found an old chisel does the trick...run it down it at a 45 degree angle using a bit of pressure, scrape it off dry and it saves a lot of mess.

Thanks for both your replies. Now to go away and think on the merits of both approaches!

Sponsored Links
after stripping a campervan both inside and out with nitromors i found the most useful tool was a metal pan scrub. the ones that look like a scrunched up ball of metal string. more flexible than a scraper and doesn't clog up as easily as wirewool. you will need a couple of packs.

Forgot I made this post - just about to start removing paint from metal door fittings! I 've been busy on other stuff...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back