Removing render.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Newbie, not sure if I've posted to the correct forum!

Need some advice on whether it's possible to strip the render off, repoint and seal the exterior of my cottage. I've stripped the interior walls and I believe the exterior is the same, a mixture of Lime Stone and what the locals call Blue Stone or Clay Stone.

I've been warned if it's not rendered the Clay Stone soaks up moisture and then pops the face off at the first frost. Ideally I want to strip, repoint and seal with a silicon based sealant.

It would appear that externally it was rendered along the floor then up the external wall, i.e no bell bottom. Somebody said the render was Tyro something, can't remember exactly but it started with a T, came in three colours (I've got grey), is as hard as nails, and has cracked in a few places.

When I exposed the interior stone work the plaster and stone up to 18" was damp since then it's dried out. Internally I've repointed with a sand 4:cement 1:lime 1 mix and sealed with few coats of water 3:pVA 1. As I've probably not got a DPC, cottage is 1835'ish, I was working on sealing the exterior and letting the interior breath.

Anybody got any views?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back