Removing silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to remove some old silicone sealant from a plastic bath tub. I have removed as much as I can using a sharp chisel and a stanley knife blade, but there is still a very thin strip remaining which I can't cut away without scratching the bath. Is there any solvent / spirit etc I can use to remove silicone? I am aware of the silicone eater stuff that screwfix sell, but I would like to get the bath resealed tonight, and let it go off over night, so I can use it tomorrow.

Any Ideas?

Sponsored Links
Nope, none that you'll have in the house.
You should be able to get it all off the bath with a sharp chisel if you're careful. You can remove small amounts by firm rubbing with your thumb unless you're a softy.
Then give the area a wipe down with white spirit and dry it properly with some kitchen towel. Fill the bath and apply the sealant. Leave it over night then drain the bath.

Theres some stuff available in B&Q etc called silicone eater

Gcol thanks for the pics..I could murder a bacon sandwich now! ;)

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Fill the bath and apply the sealant. Leave it over night then drain the bath.

This is probably a stupid question.... But why fill the bath?

To allow for the extra wieght when someone gets in it..if you dont the silicone may crack or pull away from eith ther bath or the wall

Thought it would be something like that but surely when the baths empty the opposite happens ie, the sealant gets pushed against the wall/bath edge and starts to peel from below?

The thumb / thumbnail seemed about as good as I could manage.

I wish I had left it for another night and got some silicone eater, but passed the point of no return without really thinking about it.

Zampa said:

If a tree falls in a wood and theres nobody to hear it, does it make a sound? ;)

I take it this only applies to acrylic/plastic baths anyway? That was why I queried the original post as mines steel so 'shouldn't' suffer the same problems.

Shengis said:
Zampa said:

If a tree falls in a wood and theres nobody to hear it, does it make a sound? ;)

I take it this only applies to acrylic/plastic baths anyway? That was why I queried the original post as mines steel so 'shouldn't' suffer the same problems.

The bath will still move when full of water as the weight of the water will cause the floor to flex

RF Lighting said:
Shengis said:
Zampa said:

The bath will still move when full of water as the weight of the water will cause the floor to flex

Concrete flexes????? Thats what mines set in.

Concrete flexes. Not a lot but it does. This is why buildings and bridges sway in the wind. It is often not enough to notice, but they do. Also adding alot of weight to a block and beam floor will cause it to sag a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back