Removing solvent welded pipes - how?

K

KillingTime

Hi,

I've decided to move a toilet in my bathroom. I have the floor up. The soil pipe bend appears to be solvent welded.

How do I break the seal on this so I can extend the pipe to where I want it?

Also, I have a wall mounted (as opposed to pedestal) wash basin. I would like the waste pipe to go from the trap to the wall, so it cannot be seen (my existing waste pipe comes up from the floor behind the old pedestal).

Given that it's a solid block wall (not a stud partition), and the fact that there are no pipes to connect up with in the wall, is it normal to just have the waste pipe go directly outside and connect it to the soil stack from there?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
noseall said:
you can't break the seal, it's welded. :rolleyes: cut the pipe and buy a new fitting.

Actually thats not quite true noseall ;)

If you cut the socket lengthways down to the pipe, more often than not you can peal the joint apart with the aid of an old screwdriver/chisel

Sponsored Links
doitall said:
noseall said:
you can't break the seal, it's welded. :rolleyes: cut the pipe and buy a new fitting.

If you cut the socket lengthways down to the pipe, more often than not you can peal the joint apart with the aid of an old screwdriver/chisel

whats the effing point. a new fitting only costs pence ffs. and you will have a clean area upon which to apply more solvent.

is it me!!!

I cant cut into the pipe becuase multiple bend joints have been fitted right up to one another (tight space).

The bend to the vertical for the toilet connects (on the other side) to the bend through the wall. The bend on the outside wall is solvent welded also.

So if I can't prise the joint off I'm looking at replacing at least 3 joints and messing with the outside stack...all because I want to simply extend an internal soil pipe.

KillingTime said:
The bend to the vertical for the toilet connects (on the other side) to the bend through the wall. The bend on the outside wall is solvent welded also.
Someone thought it would never need altering. ;)

So if I can't prise the joint off I'm looking at replacing at least 3 joints and messing with the outside stack...all because I want to simply extend an internal soil pipe.
Can you post a photo? It would make it easier to help you.

I cut diagonally across the joint following the curve of the pipe then stick a screwdriver or two in the saw slot. Use an exact sized rather new screwdriver with fresh square edges if possible for this bit. An old wood chisel can be handy for the rest. It can be a delicate operation.

If any bits dont unstick then its hard work with a file or delicate work with a small angle grinder or time consuming work with a dremel.

A Multifit connector will get you from solvent weld sized pipes to push fit.

Yes I have been there many times and its why I prefer well supported push fit waste pipes. It's a bastard when the pipe breaks and you end up having to rip into tiled boxing to sort the job out

noseall said:
doitall said:
noseall said:

whats the effing point. a new fitting only costs pence ffs. and you will have a clean area upon which to apply more solvent.

is it me!!!

Agree noseall, its not cost effective but sometimes needs must :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've taken some photo's.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/DSC00166.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/DSC00167.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/goodproducts101/Dsc00168.jpg

The toilet and the wash basin are swapping places to give the door more room to open inwards. This is why the soil pipe has to move.

You will note that a 'handyman' has been here before me, and seen fit to hollow so much of the joist out (the same joist that's taking the weight of the other 3), that it's beginning to split.

Every time I peel away a layer of my house I find a new horror. What started off as a 'I'll re-do my bathroom', has turned into a structural re-work.

I have some ideas on how to fix the joist. I've got some 4mm thick, 3 inch angle steel, that I can bolt in to secure things.

It looks like it might just be easier if I pull the soil pipe out completely and start again. There's not much room to work with when it comes to sanding the remaining pipe down after the joint split.

"Captain Slow" would be an appropriate phrase for most of the bathroom fitters that have graced my house for a quote on installing the above.

I'm on my 10th company to date with only 3 having sent in a figure. The last one was £4800 labour only.

After I've fitted this bathroom, I might change careers.

If it was my house, given the low cost involved, I'd replace all of it and sort out the joist whilst I was at it.

If it was a job for someone else I'd use masking tape and wallpaper paste ... JOKE!!!! :LOL:

esra_ptrap said:
If it was my house, given the low cost involved, I'd replace all of it and sort out the joist whilst I was at it.

If it was a job for someone else I'd use masking tape and wallpaper paste ... JOKE!!!! :LOL:

We belive you, not :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back