removing tiles then repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove the old tiles in my kitchen and paint in their place. Can anyone give me suggestions about the best way to avoid removing excess plaster from the wall, and how to remove the old adhesive and smooth down the wall ready for painting. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a messy job - I know I have just finished my kitchen!

I found the best way was to use a large flat scraper and tap it behind the tiles with a hammer. It should then be possible to lever the tiles from the wall - wear safety glasses and gloves as the tiles can shatter. The difficulty depends on how well the tiles have been put on in the first place! On three of my walls the tiles came off very easily with little damage to the plaster. Whether the fourth wall had been tiled by someone different or whether a different adhesive had been used I will never know but it was a nightmare resulting in lots of damage to the wall! :confused:

Having removed the tiles any adhesive can be removed using the same scraper and any holes filled. If you are going to paint the walls then you need to make sure that the finish is perfect as paint will not hide any inperfections. In this respect it may be easier if you were to paper the wall or retile. Hope this helps :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back