Removing vinyl flooring adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have ripped up my old bathroom floor, which is that soft-feel plastic that comes as a roll. Most of the glue has come up with the floor, I guess because I sealed the concrete floor with so much PVA before the adhesive went down.

However, I am left with quite a bit of the floor covered with a tacky, nasty, bumpy surface. I have tried picking away at it but it is really far too sticky.

Any recommendations?
The only two I could come up with were:

1) chewing gum remover spray, freeze the glue then chisel it off but it would cost an arm and a leg in sprays.
2) use self-levelling compound on the floor, but that would be a real hassle in my particular bathroom.
3) try white spirit/meths, but I thought I would seek other opinions before dousing my floor in something highly flammable, that might also stain the floor I will put down later.

Sponsored Links
I have use "Floor Glue Remover" and can't remember the make, do a search on google, best to get odourless type if you can.

Cheers masona, I never thought they would have made a special chemical!

http://www.lawsonshop.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/Lawson/103075106

Vinyl flooring which is difficult to remove must first be perforated using a pricking roll or similar tool

D'oh! Wish I had known that, I swear I nearly had a heart attack pulling that old flooring up, the strain I was putting into it.

Right, off to find some of that stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back