removing wax from floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have new pine floorboards which have been sanded and have put a coloured wax on which looks awful!! I now want to remove the wax and wonder the best way to go about this - also any ideas on an alternative finish.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what kind of wax was used in the first place (alcohol or non-alcohol based).
Try with white spirit in a 'hidden' area to see the reaction

Me also having a few problems with waxing a new pine floor. Wonder whether NEW pine is really suitable for waxing.
fortunately only been trying on off cuts before committing to the whole floor. Still keep swaying between varnish and oil/wax. Just can't make that final decision.

Out of interest what is it that you don't like about the wax, the colour or the overall finish effect ?

Sponsored Links
Both, the wax we used was coloured and the overall effect is very patchy. Since looked in DIY book which says that wax never really works that well on softwood and is better on hardwood. So if I can get it off I will now use an oil or a liquid clear wax - maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back