Renault Megan 1.4e Cold heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to buy a little runaround and I've been to look at a 1998 Megan 1.4e with 100,000 on it. The previous owner is selling it because he's been given a company car/van and they have a family car already. He's replaced various bits and bobs like driveshafts, springs, ball joints, cat, etc. and the car is in very good condition. My only worry is that the heater is blowing cold or to be more precise luke warm. The engine temp seems to be ok i.e. starts off cold then rises to about half way up the guage. I suspect that the heater matrix is duff but I've also heard they have a habbit of head gasket failure. Does anyone have any experience of these cars and the possible causes and cures for a luke warm heater.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
being a renault i think i know what the prob may be. theirs a hot water pipe that circulates for the heater usually blocks up, disconnecting it and running an air line through it will solve your problem. mind you check the car over i have heard renaults not the most reliable cars in the world.

Thanks for the reply.
being a renault i think i know what the prob may be. theirs a hot water pipe that circulates for the heater usually blocks up, disconnecting it and running an air line through it will solve your problem.
I'm not exactly sure which pipe you're referring to but the two feed pipes to the heater matrix are definitely not blocked. The bleed screw is broken on the top one and I've tried bleeding it on the hose itself but there doesn't seem to be any air in it.
If I leave the fan off with the engine hot then turn it on after a few minutes, it gives a burst of hot air for about 20 seconds then goes luke warm again.
Someone suggested the matrix core could be blocked and that flushing water between the inlet and outlet wouldn't clear it because the water can travel straight between inlet and outlet without going into the actual core.
I'm going to try feeding a small pipe into the matrix to see if I can blast out any debris.
mind you check the car over i have heard renaults not the most reliable cars in the world.
The same could be said of all makes. But I take your point and don't think I hadn't thought about that, it is after all my first Renault and I already knew it needed a few things doing to it.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a blocked matrix especially if its hot for a few seconds and then goes luke warm, i have a scenic and its got a bloody good heater, watch out for oil in the water, abs light not going off due to cracked target rings on the driveshafts

Back