render & damp question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having a damp proof course done soon to my Victorian terrace and wanted to save some money by preparing some things myself.

Firstly: the render on my outside walls comes almost to ground level - hence the damp - so I know I need to take it up to at least 150mm (should this be higher?) to expose the brickwork and allow for the course to be injected. I'll do this but I also need to fit a bell cast drip. All the instructions I can find on fitting the drip are to do with new render - however, as mine is already there, what is the best way to attach the drip? And should it be of a certain make/size and sit at a particular angle?

Secondly, I need to prepare the internal plaster for the damp proofers. Any suggestions on this? Is there anything specific I need to think about with regards to the damp spots themselves? I figure, from my research, that I need to scrape the 'bubbled' plaster right out and give it time to dry. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd do a search on "damp" within this forum before considering throwing money at a 'dpc' injection.

There are a wealth of stories and experiences on the very subject captured here.

Sorting out the render height may sort the problem without the chemical injection.

You may well find that once you've lifted the finish height of the render everything will dry out with no problems. I had a similar problem in my end terrace where the ground level was virtually the same as the inside floor - dug it out by 6" all now dry!

I nearly went for chemical treatment but after reading the numurus posts about it on here I now believe, along with many, that the chemical injection route is pointless and mostly unnecessary.

Save yourself a few quid by removing some of the render and then waiting for it to dry out naturally.

To echo the others' comments...

charlesb said:
I'm having a damp proof course done soon to my Victorian terrace...
Please don't.

I need to prepare the internal plaster for the damp proofers. Any suggestions on this?
If the internal plaster is affected, then you'll need to replace ALL of it from floor up to 3' high. And you'll need to leave the plaster off so that the wall can dry out. Fortunately it's a good time of year for this, so merely several weeks will be enough. Get the outside sorted first though.

BTW AndersonC - I'm booking up a date with the vicar, and I don't want to be left at the alter. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I'm booking up a date with the vicar, and I don't want to be left at the alter. :evil:

Bloomin' 'eck, Softus has spelt something wrong!

I think you mean 'altar' in your last sentence.

Thanks - I looked at a lot of stuff on here last night and I might see how the external walls do after cutting back the render and drying out. I'm also going to dig out just to be sure. The good thing is it's nearly all south facing so shouldn't take long to dry.

The only thing is I've got a damp problem all the way along the party wall, so I'm not sure I've much choice there. Took some plaster off last night and it just crumbled - you could really smell the damp.

RE the bellcast - any suggestions on fixing it to render that's already there?

I thought I had damp on my party wall. Went round the neighbours and no sign of damp at all.

Took all the plaster off back to brick and it's now dried out.

Has the house been left empty or unheated ? The old plaster is hygroscopic and takes the moisture from the cold damp air.

Next door's walls are black with mould but that is surely from lack of ventilation. I need to have another look to be sure there's nothing down below, but we've cetainly got bubbles all the way along the walls - probably 20-30ft.

Sorry, meant to say the house has been occupied for at least the last 5 years - although really only patched over in that time so I think it may have been a problem from some time ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back