Render problems, whats the best solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I will explain my current predicament and would like some advice on how to remedy it.

I suspect it is the result of painting my 1860s property in exterior paint 8 years ago and I am now reaping the whirlwind

8 years ago I bought an 1860s property, end of terrace. The property was originally L shaped and to increase size and long term value we decided to square it up on both stories doubling the size of the living room and adding an extra bedroom.

This process meant that one of the walls is now half new brick (with cavity, I believe) and half 1860s.

The both halves were rendered at the time I think, but the whole job was done at minimum cost and although not half a**ed was not the most comprehensive on the planet. The new vs old is quite equivent from the smooth finish on the new vs less smooth on the old

After this was finished we had a local yokel come round and put weatherproof paint on all the walls as this seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now here is my current situation:

The walls of the new build have crazed as they settled leaving some hairline cracks and one or two larger ones, this is a slight concern, although the side that really worries me is the old half of the same wall. I noticed that we had some plaster starting to 'blow' on the inside wall in on the old side. The side has larger cracks and we definitely have water encroachment. A chap came round today to do a quote for the cellar conversion, I mentioned it to him and he used his water level gadget on it. The inside wall is badly damp and that is what is causing the blowing .

The guy suggested that we get a local builder in to re render the wall and that he would put the specification in with the quote for the cellar, apparently the warranty that he would give us just wouldn't be worth the extra cost, so a general builder would be a better bet.

Its a two story building maybe 8m in depth, can anyone tell me what this is likely to cost? And if this is the best way to go? What also worries me is that all the other faces are painted with the same stuff and although the front of the house is brick the rear is rendered and I don't want the same problem occurring

A I KNOW this is against the guidelines but can anyone tell me what kind of financial hit I should be expecting to take for this ;)

Cheers

mb

Sponsored Links
When you meantion 1860's does it have a traditional damp proof?
If not then you should be aware that this "old" part of the house needs to breathe to stay dry(ish). If you have had it rendered with modern day mteirials and not done properly and on top of all that then gone and sealed it with a weatherproofer its no wonder its damp thats why your plaster has started to blow. If this is the case you would also notice that the original plaster would have been a lime sand mortar mix. Dont let anyone say oh you need it damp proofing and then doing it in sand and cement as it will go again. You would be better off dry lining the interior once the render is sorted.
Cheers

JPL_Plastering said:
When you meantion 1860's does it have a traditional damp proof?
If not then you should be aware that this "old" part of the house needs to breathe to stay dry(ish). If you have had it rendered with modern day mteirials and not done properly and on top of all that then gone and sealed it with a weatherproofer its no wonder its damp thats why your plaster has started to blow. If this is the case you would also notice that the original plaster would have been a lime sand mortar mix. Dont let anyone say oh you need it damp proofing and then doing it in sand and cement as it will go again. You would be better off dry lining the interior once the render is sorted.
Cheers
Ah, so that's why my "builder" didn't manage to sort out my internal damp problem! Dry lining it is, then...........Off to the merchents (again)

Sponsored Links
make sure you sort the damp problem before you dryline it other wise your just covering it up and the damp has to go somewhere this is when fungus will start to grow, and you wont notice it till the smell comes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back