Rendering and pebbledashing

M

mick_b

Hi all,

Today I discovered a few things,

1: Im no good at rendering or applying dash or tyrolean.

2: I dont have 'arms like tyson' which are handy for tyrolean guns.

3: Its not a good idea to apply render or tyrolean unless your using the correct mix / additives / aggregate etc.

So the tyrol gun goes back to jewsons tomorrow and the screwfix gun that was pretty bad goes back to screwfix. Plan B is to have the walls proffesionally rendered or pebbledsahed, my dasher reckons he can use a very fine dashing that will give a tyrolean effect to match the rest of the house.

Am I right in saying that I should PVA Unibond all of the bare breeze blocks and fix plasterers beads to all corners before rendering starts, and can I do this well in advance ?

At the end of the day im a good sparky, roofer, plumber and basic chippy but im definitely no renderer !

Any tips would be great,

Mick

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

One of the reasons I hired a tyrolean gun was the fact that I have 2 years experience of spraying furniture and metal etc. Obviously I made a mistake because applying tyro is entirely different and requires more muscle than finesse.

I am now looking at the final coating for my 106 sq mtrs of new blocks and recoating about 200 sq mtrs of existing house, which is a total of a lot of square mtrs :eek:
I have only just discovered that most masonry paints and some wall coatings can be applied with an 'air texture gun' like this one,
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=000512010&r=2013&g=103

Does anyone know anything or have any experience of these ?

Cheers

Mick
[/url]

What are you doing wrong.
Tyrolean is a doddle so with your experience you must be doing something not quite right, have just done 3 of 4 sides to my house, though with twenty odd years experience it does help. Tell me your method of application and maybe we could get a handle on this cus its gonna cost you dearly to have the whole house dashed, and tyrol is not that hard at all if you once know how.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have aquired an air texture gun from machine mart and I can honestly say that im well impressed so far :)
I bought it for textured masonry paints and it handles them with ease and covers very quickly, so I thought why not try something a little heavier......

I knocked up a sand / cement 4-1 mix and it almost sprayed it until the sand clogged up near the nozzle. I then tried some 'patch repair mortar' as sold by wickes (mortar mix with fibres) and it sprayed it out like tyrolean !. I then tried some of the 'white textured coating' and it sprayed that out like tyrolean too.

The white coating has gone off rock hard but im sure its not suitable for external use, unless someone tells me I can add hardener and waterproofer to get away with it ? However, the mortar mix has not gone off hard enough, which is a real shame as I could do a 30ft x 8 ft wall in about 15 minutes with my eyes shut.

Any ideas,

Mick

p.s. 'legs akimbo' Im no good at 'normal' flat rendering or scratch coats and that manual tyro gun was going to kill me :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back