Rendering around windows that have no reveals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, has anybody got any tips of how to render around new double glazed upvc window frames that have no reveals?

NB The frames of our current single glazed upvc windows had been rendered over and the render had obviously not bonded to the upvc. The water off the windows had gone behind old render & penetrated into our house (no cavity, block wall).

Whole front of house had blown/mapped render which we have now removed. We will be re rendering majority prior to new windows being installed but we want to avoid the same problem happening again around windows.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My builder has just done almost the same to my house and I wondered if water penetration would be a problem. He has put beading over the edge of the window frame and I hope he is going to seal the gap between the bead and the window with silicon.

I too would be grateful for any advice here before my builder vanishes from site/sight

Also does any one know the Scottish building regs concerning upstairs windows. The builder has installed 2 upstairs windows with only small hoppers at the top. One other bedroom has a side opening casement and another one one has a tilt and turn. Is this legal. He says it is as he is replacing like with like.

I would consider that masticing the gap between wall and frame then overlapping a pvc stop bead on to the frame followed by a waterproof render would surfice. Finish with mastic between frame and bead...job done!

Thanks Legs for your reply. I have read many of your threads & was hoping you may come to the rescue! Our existing windows are not exactly flush to brickwork (although no proper reveal), so hubby will talk to the window fitters about installing new ones slightly forward so they are flush so we can do as you advise which makes much sense to him. (Although I wont be surprised if he decides to fit windows himself & get the OK from Building Control etc. - being a tradesman himself (paint & dec.) he's not keen on hiring anyone else to do work for us!

In the meantime he has decided that all brickwork to front of house has to be re-pointed first so currently removing all crumbling mortar ready for new....

Sponsored Links
Hi H.H. I am currently building a shed/garage in my garden in a single skin of blockwork and have three window frames that will be flush like yours, I can not see as there would be any problem at all in working to the methods suggested.
Good luck.
Legs.

legs-akimbo said:
Hi H.H. I am currently building a shed/garage in my garden in a single skin of blockwork and have three window frames that will be flush like yours, I can not see as there would be any problem at all in working to the methods suggested.
Good luck.
Legs.

so freddies moving in ;) :LOL: :LOL:

You should see Freddies Gaff J.B. and all the land he has in an incredibly scenic location, he doesnt need to live in my shed.

legs-akimbo said:
You should see Freddies Gaff J.B. and all the land he has in an incredibly scenic location, he doesnt need to live in my shed.

only having the crack i can imagine its probably beautiful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back