rendering over wooden door frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off - I'm a newbie so hi to all and sundry...............:D

After a bout of door slamming (well ok the cracks were already there) the thick pebbledash rendering down one side of the back door frame has fallen off, exposing the wooden frame to the elements.
Before rerendering over the frame, do I need to put something on the wood to protect it from the weather? Or do I just render over it and make sure I seal any edge gap with mastic, as the painted render itself will be waterproof. Will the render even stick to the wood adequately? (I suspect the lack of this was the cause of the problem in the first place).
I've done a little plastering/cementing so I'm not too daunted by doing this, but I want to get it right................

Sponsored Links
I think the important thing first is to make sure the door frame is not loose, if so, pack it out with thin plywood and fit extra frame fixing screw to prevent it happening again.

It's not absolutely critical what you do. If you want the render to stick, staple some chicken wire or knock a few tacks in so the mortar can set round them and won't fall off.

joe

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back