Renovation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to renovate a property which has three bedrooms at present and also what is listed as a box room. The bathroom is a reasonable size, about 8ft X 10ft and I want to change this into a fourth bedroom and turn the boxroom into a bathroom by installing a corner bath , WC , and basin all of which will fit quite comfortably in the room. My question is , when I put it on the market can it be listed as a four bedroom house or does it need some kind of legal document/title deed to say that it was a three but is now a four bed property ?

Sponsored Links
DAZB said:
when I put it on the market can it be listed as a four bedroom house or does it need some kind of legal document/title deed to say that it was a three but is now a four bed property ?
I wouldn't have thought so,just has a quick look at my title deed and can't find anywhere saying how many bedroom I have on my property bearing in mind my property was built in 1902.I have done many garage conversion into a bedroom and never come across it regarding title deed.If you think about it,how many time have you seen in the local property paper,2 or 3 bedroom , 3 or 4 bedroom etc. If you take out the bed,does that mean is not a bedroom !!
I know building insurance company always ask for how many bedroom when insuring your property,I can't see why though....

GwaiLo,where are you ? :cry:

edit - spelling error.

hey dazb

just my personal point of view but a big bathroom is much better than a small one - all the hassle required to make it into a 4 bed house might not be worth it as potential buyers could be put off because the bathroom is so small - unless of course you already have one room with an ensuite.

personally i'd stick a single bed in it and let people see that it would make a good nursery or childs room - but you know the house and that's just my point of view - either way best of luck mate :D

Agree with Masona

As lnog as you accurately describe the building ( once it's offered for sale)
Then, 3 bedrooms or 4 bedrooms is in the description.
I dpon't believe there's any 'looking back as it was' kind of thing when selling it 'as it is'

Just a thought, regarding the use of the box room...

There's this concept -
Which is best:
4 bedrooms + one bathroom ?
or 3 bedrooms+ 2 bath rooms ?

I'ts something I'm pondering with myself right now..........

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies one and all . The actual size of the box room is about 4ft 8in X 10ft with a window on the far small wall and the door opposite and will take a corner bath quite comfortably near the window with the WC and Basin down either left or right hand wall so actual layout of the fixtures isn't too bad. My only grey area was over the listing as a four bed without needing documents etc.... I renovate property full time but had not dealt with the legal aspect (if there was one) of ''gaining an extra bedroom'', other than a loft conversion, which has it's own set of planning rules as you know. So a switch of bathroom and bedroom it is then and judging by the local house values a boost of around 10k so you can see there is a motive in there somewhere !!!

I know building insurance company always ask for how many bedroom when insuring your property,I can't see why though....

Insurers commonly gauge risk related to expected occupancy.
More bedrooms often infers more occupants which implies higher risk.

with regard to bedrooms/bathrooms.
4 beds implies, 2 parents and 3 kids = 5 people occupancy.
1 bathroom among 5 people could be a tight squeeze in the morning when everyone is rushing to get out of the house.
If practical, I would do 1 bed with ensuite, 2 std beds, 1 family bath.

I would recommend a review of the other properties available locally and determine how they overcame the 4'x10' room issue.

Dont forget the buildiing regs, moving bathroom you must fit extractor fan. so you will need to provide a power supply.

Also check the floor joists are good, as baths are v/heavy.

Only situation I know of where a house is advertised with less rooms than it has is where a loft conversion has been done but not to spec.

A friend of mine has a house where the previous owners very carefully put in a pretty decent loft conversion, good windows etc. but somewhere along the line forgot to put in joists capable of supporting a floor! Result? What would have been a 3-bed is legally a 2-bed and I am worried their bed will fall through their ceiling-joist-supported floor!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back