repairing a bodged joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small terraced house over 3 floors. I have removed the floorboards and noticed that one of the joists had been cut back previously obviously due to rot.

What they did is nail 1 piece on and I notice around this joist that the ceiling is sagging.

Below it is the bathroom with a stud wall near this joist.

I would like to support the ceiling from the bathroom (with I believe a gadget called an acro?).

Then remove their join and add two pieces either side with coach bolts through and also add the star shaped device to stop them moving.

Is this the correct thing to do? The joist looks ok apart from that.

I dont intend to try and jack up the ceiling and neither do I want to gut the whole house by installing new joists.

Please excuse my ignorance of such things and I would welcome a comment from some professionals.

Regards
Peter

Sponsored Links
Yes,I have no problem with this.

If you are going to hire a acrow,you be better buying 4"x2" timber supporting the ceiling underneath with supporting plate spread out which probably work out cheaper plus you have the timber for something else.

Timber connector are called "Double Sided Timber Connector".
99094_m.jpg

Make sure you use square washer plate on the head of the bolt and nut side.And stagger the bolt 1/3 from top and next one 1/3 from bottom,so it not in a straight line.
28801_m.jpg

If it a bit awkward using timber for room movement you can use 2" angle iron instead of timber on one side plus square washer on the timber side.

It turns out that the joists are supported on the internal part of the outside wall by a long piece of timber embedded in the wall. This timber support ( a lintel?) is rotten and is disintegrating.

If I prop the ceiling up will it be an easy task to add another support in the internal wall in the same space that the other rotted one occupied?

I guess it will need all the joist ends cutting back and then removing whats left of the rotten wood and then putting the new lintel in.

I assume as the room below has a stud partition that the new lintel can only go in from above.

I forgot to mention that in the upper room is a window above the worst joist damage (new double glazed unit and below in the bathroom (with the stud partition) is a window as well.

I assume as the outside walls are all the supporting ones and that the outside masonry is all ok that I wont stumble into any problems by removing the rotten lintel?

I feel quite depressed about this is it a really difficult job that should be left to a builder?

The builders I had in to get quotes for plastering just shook their heads and quoted stupid unrealistic prices and lied about the material costs, so I grieve at the thought of asking them back.

That doesn't mean that they are all bad though! As I realise that There are more honest reliable ones in the world than bad! so please don't be offended if you are a builder reading this, the forum needs good people like yourselves!

Sponsored Links
Can you send a photo or drawing etc ?

What area are you from ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back