repairing damage to brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Recently had plumbers in to install central heating and where they have drilled holes to outside I have lost about 1" deep worth of brick.

what I mean is there is a nice clean hole on the inside but onthe outside part of the brick fell out rather than have a nice hole in it.

What is the best way to repair it and to help it blend in?

I also have a couple of holes from where they have removed pipes and some advice on how to fill them would be great too.

Regards

Wayne

Sponsored Links
what is the age of the property :?:

is the mortar a rich mix or is it soft. :?:

were is the damp proof course in relation to the damaged bricks :?:

can you obtain bricks which match the house brick :?:

waynes said:
Hello all,

Recently had plumbers in to install central heating and where they have drilled holes to outside I have lost about 1" deep worth of brick.

what I mean is there is a nice clean hole on the inside but onthe outside part of the brick fell out rather than have a nice hole in it.

Wayne

This is what happens when you use an SDS drill - the hammer action is sometimes too powerful,and hammers its way through the last bit,rather than drilling (yes,I did the same thing when drilling a hole for the SWA cable for my workshop :oops: )

should I expect the plumbers to make good the damage they have done then if it was caused by the hammer action?

as for the previous questions:

The house was built 1950ish

Mortar mix is, not sure on the difference but is quite sandy and can easily be dug out - I think

Damp proof is below the bricks

No idea about matching the bricks, i will try to find out - I take it you are suggesting removing the bricks and replacing them? sounds like a lot of work, is it?

Sponsored Links
We used to cut the holes with hammer+chisel and make good.....But then I`m one of the old school NOT rich Plumbers...worked for a firm once Boss said" we`ll send brickie round".. at job end customer said to me " That`s Bum awfull brickwork"...he was an Aus.:cool: Reckon yours is BA too. You get a lot of BA`s in Cambridge, don`t you?...same as Oxford....Red Brick with holes.

well we will see what happens looks like they may have to move the boiler they just plumbed in anyway as you cant open the front - the fusebox is in the way and I dont trust them to move that!

Shame you dont know what a companys workmanship is like until after the job...

If they drill any more holes they should use a pilot drill first then drill from each side. Saves problems with broken bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back