Replace or Repair elderly Vaillant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a newbie but I'll try to put in as much information as possible in the hope that you can help me with my dilemma!

I've got a 17 year old Vaillant combi sealed system boiler (model VCW something, at work so can't check) in a one bedroom flat, powering 4 radiators. Recently the pilot light wouldn't stay lit so I got homeserve out who did lots of teeth sucking and told me I needed a new heat exchanger costing around £400 + vat. I got a call from homeserve yesterday who are now saying that another part also needs replacing, the combustion unit/chamber? at another £400+ vat.

Needless to say, they've decided it's uneconomical to fix and have cancelled the policy and are sending me a cheque for £200. The boiler is working ok now (dirty gas jet fixed by blowing aerosol on it) but apparently the heat exchanger could go any time. There is some scale on the bottom of it but that's been there for the last two years. I don't intend to stay in the flat for more than about a year so am reluctant to shell out the 1300 I've been quoted to supply and install a new one. Am I right in thinking the £800 to fix it seems a bit steep?

All replies gratefully welcomed!

Mags

Sponsored Links
Am I right in thinking the £800 to fix it seems a bit steep?
Obviously not worth repairing if it really needs that much spent on it, but if Homeserve have an obligation to repair, that's their problem. They are clearly overstating the cost to wriggle out of their repair obligation. I should hold them to it, if you can.

Alternatively you could try to find a competent heating engineer that you can trust. The actual repairs necessary to keep it going a bit longer may be quite minor.

I would definately look for another engineer. These boilers were overengineered. They hardly ever go faulty. When they do, start looking for a bod who knows his stuff.

but apparently the heat exchanger could go any time.

Shushshshshsththththththfffffffffffwa. They do that y'know. You come home one day and there's this ruddy great space where the heat exchanger used to be. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If its the vcw sine 18 it will last another 17 years don't believe all your told by repair men working on commission. Phone Vaillant and ask them. If your boiler is now working then just leave it alone :LOL:

get someone to carry out a water analysis, (we charge about 35 plus vat) and hopefully this will show no significant scale build up and you can present this to the company and they will have to repair.

I think old vaillants just scare the bejeesus out of the lads :)

I am sure it can be kept going for a long time.

The price of £1300 quoted for a replacement seems quite good value though. Of course it depends on the boiler model chosen.

Tony

Guys,

Thanks very much for your answers, I'm getting a second opinion at the weekend from a local plumber who's been recommended. The boiler seems to be working fine at the minute, doing exactly what it says on the tin so yes, am reluctant to go pulling it all out at vast expense! The quote does seem reasonable for the new one but why change if if it's not really broken!

Now, my next question is, how do I make Homeserve continue the cover or do the repairs at the true cost? I'm thinking about going back to BG, surely an initial inspection by them, if passed, would indicate that homeserve were trying to pull a fast one?

Cheers,

Mags

AS stated these are superbly built the only thing that mostly goes is the rubbers. I would view the information that you have been given as dubious to say the least. The hot water heat exchanger sometimes needs replacing to a modern sardine can type - a half hour job. The quote for a replacement apears reasonable - but check what boiler you would be getting and preferably replace with a Vaillant or Bosch/worcester. The replacement should be a condensing boiler.
There is no easy way out of getting ones boiler serviced - I would not touch an annual service plan with a barge pole - they only boilers they tend to like to contract for are new. Check the small print!!!!
course pilot lights will need attention from time to time. I am surprised you have one because most 17 year olds Vaillants have auto ignition

Just called Vaillant and apparently a new heat exchanger is circa £100... and if as someone else suggested, it doesn't take too long to fit, I would say homeserve have inflated their estimates by at least 100%, probably to wriggle out of doing it.

Any other experiences of homeserve, I feel a minor skirmish with them coming on!

Cheers,

Mags

m9441905 said:
Just called Vaillant and apparently a new heat exchanger is circa £100... and if as someone else suggested, it doesn't take too long to fit, I would say homeserve have inflated their estimates by at least 100%, probably to wriggle out of doing it.

Any other experiences of homeserve, I feel a minor skirmish with them coming on!

Cheers,

Mags

mmm i would let them know, maybe they have a gas man who doesnt know what he is about (or just plain doesnt want to do it) call them and tell them the price of the heat exchanger and what valliant say about fitting time Then say that maybe trading standards would be interested, then stand back and watch them fly :LOL:

Don't get confused between the secondary HW heat exchanger and the primary combustion chamber heat exchanger.
bogstandard said:
The hot water heat exchanger sometimes needs replacing to a modern sardine can type - a half hour job.
Half hour? Not if you do the job properly with the diverter valve conversion and the PCB modification.

kevplumb said:
If its the vcw sine 18 it will last another 17 years

to right they are built like tanks ;)

I agree that these boilers are built to last and are excellent pieces of kit.

However..I have had to ID four of these in the last 12 months after finding large cracks in the combustion chamber hood. (the white enamelled bit on the top).
As far as i am aware and according to vaillant the part is obsolete.

I'd be looking to get rid if it was mine

It won't be a Sine 18, it's too young for that. The Sine 18 was manufactured from 1976 to 1987 when it was superseded by the VCW 242/282 Combi Compact series which were manufactured up to 1995 when the early version of the Turbomax came in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back