Replace proud electricity socket boxes: Should I earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have started sinking all my sockets flush to the wall. I am using the metal socket boxes replacing all the proud plastic ones.

I am not sure if i should physically earth each and every metal socket box I fit. Should I? This also includes all the light switches too.

Thanks
Andy

Sponsored Links
The metal boxes should have an earth tag attached, the answer is yes, they should be earthed.
Connect the incoming earth wires to this terminal and connect that terminal with a piece of bare earth wire to the earth connection on the back of your socket, making sure you use a piece of earth "sleeving" to insulate it.

P.S. Forgot to say all the earths should have sleeving on them :oops: !!

Thanks Scoby :p Thats a very clear and understandable reply. All of my electrics will be ok'd by a qualified electrician at the end of my job and so the less I have to rectify, the better!!

Thanks again, Andy

Sponsored Links
Ta Breezer. Some mounts come with em, some don't. Screwfix ones don't :( . I've got to order some!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back