Replaced guttering..but now more problems..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced our damaged gutters and downspouts - but now we appear to have a problem with flooding in our basement . We've had this problem before...but seems much worse now.

Just looked at the downpipe and it leads into a ceramic pipe (a drain I assume) but its got standing water in it so assume we'll need to get a drainage company out - any idea of costs for pressure jetting (if required)?

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the U-bend of the gulley first, the water is there to stop the smell, the blockage may be just on the bend, a long rubber glove and some made up scoop tool such as a large soup spoon if it's not reachable etc.
thumb_b1eeff0b393eff43d803f13b3a03d402N4DGT.jpg

Thanks will try that

Note: odd that this has been moved to roofing and guttering - did think about posting it there...but its now a drains issue..isn't it?

How old is the house, what is the soil like?

I ask because when I had a 1920's house on deep clay, the house had sunk a bit and snapped off the soil pipes and gullies in my house, and my neighbours on both sides (amusingly :rolleyes: I discovered this when excavating to repair mine, my excavation filled up when my neighbour had a bath). This led to water going into the ground at the breaks. If you have recently repaired your gutters you may have increased the amount of water going down the drain and so any leakage would be worse.

Sponsored Links
Its a circa 1900s house with slight clay soil....hope its not that tho...the house is becoming a money pit :D

Then I have no experience :LOL: but a local builder or drain enthusiast will know if it is common in your area.

(London clay can be hundreds of feet deep, and pure enough to make brick out of)

cost of pressure jetting :eek: £50 per hour @ least :eek:

Update: apparently there was blockage between the drain from the downpipe to the inspection gulley. Waterboard came out and fixed it! Had some rain over the past few weeks and fingers crossed it all looks good so far.

Very satisfied with Yorkshire water - very friendly, helpful, came when they said they would, and more over...no charges.

Indeed...that`s because it`s a pre 1936 house........and the water companies are generally liable for the drains :p ........and because you rainwater goes into their drains ........covers that too .............lots of houses have separet storm/sewer but the companies have responsibility for the sewer ;) ....nice one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back