replacement cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have an old ArmitageWare close coupled cistern and bowl. Recently the syphon and handle broke and I have to fit new ones. When I looked inside the old handle had been bodged to link to the syphon, hence the break. I cannot get a new handle as the toilet is so old, so it looks like I will have to replace the cistern. I would like to put in a concealed cistern. Does anyone know of a concealed cistern that will link to a close coupled pan or am I going to have to fit a new bowl also? Getting fed up of flushing the loo with a bucket :cry:

Sponsored Links
not seen one before...and cant see how their could be one as cc toilets are top fed (as it were).
seems u'll have to buy the correct toilet for it (rear flush feed type)

What bits broke :?:

send me a pic, and I may have something

doitall said:
What bits broke :?:

send me a pic, and I may have something

The syphon spigot hole has split and also the handle is knackered because it was so badly corroded it had been bodged before. Unable to remove the old handle because the thread was stripped so had to cut it out. The handle linkagle (plastic arm) is a cranked one not straight, which I haven't been able to find locally, it all so needs to fit onto a hexagonal shaft.

I have bodged it again so that it will flush, but the syphon seems to be letting water through betweeen flushes as there is a slight flow into the bowl all the while, hence the need to replace syphon. The nuts holding the cistern to the bowl are also badly corroded so I haven't bothered changing the syphon. May as well worry about them when the unit is changed.

Sponsored Links
The "slight flow" through the siphon is almost certainly because the float valve is adjusted to give too high a water level.

Readjust the float valve and it will be back to just about ok.

Although it would be a bodge, you could probably connect a 40 mm flush pipe into the close coupled pan flush inlet perhaps using a flush connector if it fitted together with silicone to seal. A total bodge but it might work and avoid buying a new pan.

Tony Glazier

First a close couple pan can not be converted to low level cistern, the other way round is ok.

Water running into the pan means the syphon is leaking in the down tube side.

Still not sure what the poster is wanting yet. Syphons, levers and linkage can all be purchased.

By "The syphon spigot " I imagine you mean the downward threeaded part - if that's split then you would expect a leak into the pan.

The hex shaft part will come with the new handle, and cranked curved and straight linkages are all still available, though you do need an olde worlde bogge shoppe.

The word you want is botch not bodge - bodgers make chairs!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back