Replacement Combi ......which one ?

C

cabot

16 years ive had out of my vokera 24-96 and the time has come to change it.It has had a leak at the heat exchanger which has resulted in corrosion to the base of the casing.I only noticed it when a piece of rusted
metal fell on to the kitchen floor :( .the decision has been made to change it and the quotes have still to drop through the letterbox.Unfortunately i need some impartial advice- not from the sales guys but from the people who have serviced them and owned them.I am torn between replacing it with a current Vokera condensing combi (i understand the pipe configuration is similar to the older ones) or a Worcester Bosch Greenstar.Anyone throw any light or could give advice?.The house is detached 4 bedroom 1929 bungalow with 1 main bathroom and a shower room upstairs with 9kw Mira. im located in sunny Scotland.....i understand the heating regulations are slightly different in that we are not forced as yet to fit condensing boilers as yet.Would i be better off leaving this type of boiler as some of the posts on the forums suggest?

Sponsored Links
Apart from a few odd leaks of condensate, it seems to me that most of the bits which give trouble on current boilers aren't do to with the fact they're condensing. I wouldn't bother fitting a non-condenser now.

So which boiler would you recommend? I've even considered a Potterton.I am not too bothered about cost as i would rather pay for a decent one, than have a service engineer constantly looking at it.The Vokera i have just now has been fantastic and apart from the rubber diaphrams which have been replaced on occasion i have never had any bother with it whatsoever.Some engineers i have spoken to tell me they were over engineered at the time and thats the reason why they last so well.

i have narrowed the choice down to the following
1.....vokera linea 35he
2.....worcester bosch greenstar 35cdi
which one would you choose and why ?

Sponsored Links
Just fitted a Vokera 35 yesterday. No integral clock ! and no facility for fitting one, which means external controls.

Previous boiler had integral clock so more expense required to make the new boiler fully automatic.

The only problem i have is the fact that the current vokera 24/96 is past its best and the new models are easy(?) to connect up to or so im led to believe.Im swaying towards a Vokera so that the guy that fits it has an easier time doing it.....eg boiler out /new boiler straight in and bobs your uncle.The exterior dimensions are also similar which is ideal as the current model is hard up against an expensive tiled boxed section which means i'd have to repair/reinstate after the renewal.The current 24/96 also has a separate digital timer which is duff and will also be replaced.Is the Worcester fitted with an integral timer?

You can get wb with integral clock or just fit an rf2 about £90

So would you go for the Vokera 35HE Linea or the Worcester Bosch 35CDi
Greenstar ?.Bear in mind the current Vokera 24/96's pipework will make it an easier installation for the gas fitter will it not?.Im not too bothered about the overall cost.I'd rather get a boiler thats far better quality and reliable.

I would fit a Vaillant ecotec plus 837 (37kw on hot water) superb boiler but if you want to pick one of your choices I would go for the greenstar.

Don't worry about whats easier for the installer your paying him regardless.

Cabot if you say your vokera is past its best, you know nothing about build quality of this boiler.

I am in Glasgow and regularly maintain and rescue these fine boilers. Not only is the build quality good, parts are very reasonable as well.

I would recomend a full service.

I have been to Flowmatics that have had a good soaking. Having dried the boiler with a hair dryer, iut is ready to do battle again. Try doing that to your modern boiler, that includes the current Vokeras.

Have you for a moment considered the cost of repairs when the steamer breaks down, additional cost for system cleanse and treatment that is a must before the boiler is replaced and system upgrade to comply with latest regs?

The only problem is though the steel plate where the pipes going into the 24/96 underneath is corroded completely.I take it this part cannot be ordered /replaced and the heat exchanger (presumably where the leaks have been coming from) connections made watertight? The boiler has had the pcb replaced and the usual diaphrams but otherwise is ok. As i say im concerned with the corrosion to the base plate. :confused:

Would have to check, but think I have the main frame for the boiler.

Have you checked if you have one? :D i have been told the build quality of the 24/96 is good by gas engineers who have worked on it but unfortunately if i cant rescue it from corrosion then it will have to be scrapped because of lack of spares.Shame really as the exterior of the boiler is in extremely good condition.Only the base plate is affected.the pressure/ temp gauge was also replaced.

plumpted for the vokera 35he and its been great. High output boiler,very quiet and loads of hot water for the large cast iron bath.However i came in from work today to be told by wife that every time she puts the hot water on the radiators start to heat up despite the fact that the ch has not been requested.Weird problem and as it is only 13 months since it was fitted is still well within its 2 year guarantee.Can anyone throw any light on what the problem is.The digital display at the front has not thrown up any fault codes and up until now the boiler has been faultless.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back