Replacement Corrugated Roof Panels for Garage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Hope someone can help.
I have an pre fab garage possible 30 yrs old covered with what looks like corrugated asbesbos or cement fibre panels.
A lot of the panels are split and need replacing. Panels are approx 10' x 4'
The corrugated profile is quite wide - can you buy a large profile cement fibre roof panel or onduline one that would match the old profile??
If I can match the profile I could cover the complete roof rather than remove what could be asbestos and the problems that go with asbestos disposal.
Or how effective would a couple of coats of cold set bitumen painted over the complete surface to seal any cracks?? I think Wickes do a 25 litre drum of bitumen.
thanks in advance
Dave

Sponsored Links
To answer your first question, yes. Google eternit. They aren't cheap though. Trowel on roofing mastic would provide a short term repair for small cracks. Google flexacryl.

I think it's time for a new roof, will be cheaper in the long run.

Wickes do a nice Bitumen Corrugated Sheet in black or green in 2m length

240059-ab0-00co_full.jpg

I was considering using those panels from wickes but was concerned about the ability of the fixing they provide preventing water penetration, should they be coated with some type of mastic to ensure nothing gets through or are they fine on their own?

Sponsored Links
hogster said:
I was considering using those panels from wickes but was concerned about the ability of the fixing they provide preventing water penetration, should they be coated with some type of mastic to ensure nothing gets through or are they fine on their own?

As long as you follow the instructions regarding overlap, and use the appropriate fixings (they have little plastic 'umbrellas' on top :D ) then it should be completely watertight.

yeah I've seen those little umbrella thingies...sounds good,my garage will have a pitch roof(hopefully) made up of trusses then some 18mm ext ply,then the roof panels(or was gonna use a good quality felt) can I still use those wickes panels? what do I put at the front and rear edge,is there some kind of 90 degree edging trim available?

Use this for the top ridge and the bottom of the sheet overlap on the gutter

240040-ab0-00co_full.jpg

Thanks everyone

Looks like I will use the eternit roof panels over top of the old ones....

You are right though they are not cheap!!

thanks for all the advice

Ziggy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back