replacement double glazed units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When looking for replacement double glazed units are there any things that I should take note of, like brand quality? What are better? My current windows are 17 years old, is that good for a DG pane?

Also, what is the best way to fit them? Use traditional putty, or can I use some sort of 'caulkable' product, which I am guessing would be easier.

Thanks guys.

PP

please note forum rule 20

Sponsored Links
PilotPete said:
When looking for replacement double glazed units are there any things that I should take note of, like brand quality? What are better?
I personally would go for timber/wood D/G everytime than upvc as it's better for security as well.

Use oil treatment for timber etc

Edit: sorry I'm not sure if I have mis-read your post(?)

PilotPete said:
When looking for replacement double glazed units are there any things that I should take note of, like brand quality? What are better? My current windows are 17 years old, is that good for a DG pane?

Also, what is the best way to fit them? Use traditional putty, or can I use some sort of 'caulkable' product, which I am guessing would be easier.

Thanks guys.

PP

please note forum rule 20

What are the units in? wood, plastic, ali?

Make sure you have the same thickness of unit, there is countless sizes, 12mm 16mm 20mm 24mm 24mm if in ali or plastic, if in timber I would use a wooden bead to allow movement and put packers under the unit to keep out of any water that may get in.

The frames are softwood and in pretty good condition. I have condensation in a couple of the units, so they will need replacing, and also another couple of them get a bead, then trickle of water oozing out of the failed putty on the inside at the bottom when it rains hard and the wind is blowing.

So to replace them can I use a caulkable product? I guess new hardwood beading on the outside would be the way to go when replacing the units and on the frames where the putty has failed and needs replacing.

So can I ask about 'brands' or would any glazing firm just make their own? Do I need to get them to come round and measure up or do I need to do that and if so, what gap should I leave around the pane?

Thanks again.

PP

Sponsored Links
A 5mm gap all the way round, bear in mind that the spacer bar and butyl are 12mm in from the edge of the unit and the spacer bar should be level with the in side of the frame (if that makes sense?)

Your best bet is just go for a standard unit to match the existing ones and 17 years aint bad for wood. Cost float units (non K glass) should be £20-25 a metre, Low E units, £25-30 a metre, Tuff low E £55-60 a metre (Trade, these are approx as I havent brought any units for a while.)

Double sided tape is the prefered way to fit the units, this gives it a bit of flexibility and stops the units being pulled apart when the wood moves, one on the frame to glass then pin the bead dry.

Units now have to have a kite mark so the days of people doing them in their garden shed are over, most big firms make their own, smaller firms buy in from sealed unit manufacturers, dont know where you are so cant give a firm name.
You could look in the local rag for a 'man n van' that does misted units replacement, these boys dont need kite marks, some of these fellas come out and measure for you and fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back