Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I am thinking of replacing my old electric shower with a new 7.5kw mira
sport or a new 8.5kw triton shower.
i am quite handy at diy, but my worry is the cu which is a wylex fuse type
30 amp at present with the old shower.
can i put in a plug in 40amp mcb,or can i carry on with the old 30amp wired fuse. or should i just simply get a professional to put in a new cu.
The supply to the house is 60/80amp at the main fuse.
I am just a bit phased with the new regs,and would appreciate some input.

many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i asked this question not so long back and i'm going to have to put in a new CU. Ideally electric showers should have an RCD and that was something i couldnt do with my old unit. The shower should specify what MCB to use as mine did. Also i had to be careful what shower i ugraded to as my old 7.5kw shower was fed from a 6mm2 cable and restricted my choice i could fit.
Hope that helps a bit. I'm sure somebody will post with better info....

Tom

If you get the 7.5kw version, you can carry on using 6mm² cable on a 30A fuse. And this is probably a direct replacement - like for like - so doesn't come under part p. Any other work will be notifiable and you'd be best getting an electrician to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back