replacement patio ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
following the building of a garden rom im now looking to relay a new patio.
90% of it is exsisting council slabs that i will skip and the other 10% new slabs to position.
Questio is how far would i dig down bearing in mind i will be whacking hardcore down and (10:1) dry sand/cement mix to lay slabs on.
Dont want to go too far down as to create a lower patio .
Rough idea really, area is 33 sq Mtr

Sponsored Links
Assuming that the existing patio is at the right height, then by the time youve taken up the existing paving slabs and the bedding layer under you will probably be at more or less the right depth. If its only for foot traffic allow 50mm for mot, 50mm bedding layer and the depth of the new slabs.

So basically i remove the old ones which are near enough at the right height, drive some stakes into the ground with 4" protruding, lay the mot (Is this also known as dolly) and dry sand/cement mix, level off then put slabs on top ??

dont really need the stakes, but if it makes it easier. youll only need them protruding to 2 inches for the mot layer (scalpings/dolly or whatever you want to call it!) Youll get a better result laying the slabs on a wet mortar bed 4 sharp 2 building 1 cement. they wont have any movement so th pointing will last better

Sponsored Links
some people also dont bother woth the MOT, if you use Theremo's mixture. Depends on what's underneath really.

can't you put a new patio down over the existing one? If the old slabs are well bedded down, then won't they provide a good foundation? I know it's a lazy way of half-doing the job, and the new patio will be a bit higher, but is it not possible? I was thinking of laying a new path over an existing one. bad idea?

if its a sound solid concrete aea then yes you could, however you only need one slab on the existing one to be lose and it will effect the new slabs. Its not worth cutting the corners.

I have an old path that's pretty well solid. The problem is there are a few high points and a few dips. When it rains there are puddles every 2nd slab. When walking over them they seem well settled, and I was pondering laying a new path over it, adding a few blobs of cement to bond the new slabs, and thereby adjusting the new path so that it's level. Another bad idea.... I should be banned from this forum.... curse my lazy bones :LOL:

Don't want to lay over exsisting patio as it will lead to unwanted step that daughter will trip on.
One question, i want to lay directly onto 2" Dry sand cement mix.
Bearing in mind the slabs are a combination of 600x600, 300x300 and 600x300 would there be scope for movement.
Due to cost and timescales i'm a tad reluctant to lay onto a wet mix ? although i have been advised on either or...........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back