replacing 3 gang, 2 way switch,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this would be simple but it\\\'s not.

I\\\'m replacing the hall 3 gang switch which operates an outside light, the hall light and the landing light. The landing light can also be operated by a switch on the landing.

The existing switch has 5 terminals across the top.
Blue wires go to each of two terminals marked 1W. Yellow wires go to terminals 2W and com. The final terminal has no wire to it.

There are 4 terminals across the bottom. A red wire goes to com, another red wire to 1W which is then connected to a second com terminal. The 4th terminal has no wires.

The new switch has terminals as shown below:-

com L2 L1 com L2

L1 L2 com L1

I have tried to associate the new switch terminals to the old ones but can\\\'t get all lights working. In particular I can\\\'t get the landing light to work from both hallway and landing switches.

Sorry this seems a long question but I thought the more info. the better you would understand. :confused:

Sponsored Links
The terminals in both switches are grouped in sets of three.

On the old switch they are called COM 1W and 2W
On the new switch they are called COM L1 and L2

If you look at the back of each switch there should be lines on the back to indicate which sets go together

Assuming you made a note of which wires went where it should be a straight one for one change over.

PS, you've posted this twice, can u delete one of them?

Thanks, I didn't realise the terminals were in sets of three for each switch.

Sorry I'm new to DIYnot and can't find a way to delete the repeated question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back