Replacing a ball cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, last night our toilet started acting funny, not flushing etc. Anyway after fiddling with stuff the ballcock came off and when it was replaced it wouldn't work. The water kept on flowing and wouldn't stop. It doesn't flood us as the overflow pipe works very well. However my wife thinks she saw some sort of plastic valve flow away and perish. How easy is it to replace a ballcock? Is it the sort of job a novice could happily do? How much will these parts cost?
I would be stupidly grateful for any help.

Our ball cock is shaped like an upturned cup and is made of plastic.

Sponsored Links
does the water flow down a narrow bag to stop it from making a noise? and is the cup shaped thing blue??

does the cold supply enter the bottom of the system?
if so you just have to measure the size of your ball valve, go get one it will be roughly the same, cost will be about hmm £7

turn your cold water off, or service valve on cold supply to toilet, flush the toilet, bail the rest of the water out with a small container, soak the rest of the water up with a cloth, unscrew it, put your new ball valve in place..

tip - use abit of silicone sealent on the washer but dont go mad, and you will need a new fibre washer for your tap connector no. 62 or some ptfe tape, tighten everything up, put washer back on and set the level up (use instructions if you dont no how to)

done

the water flows up a white tube from the bottom of the tank then out of a plastic tap. The cup itself is also made of white plastic.

Thanks for your help.

One more quick question, there appears to be a maze of pipes near our water supply in our airing cupbaord. would the cold water supply be a common tap or something different?

Sounds like you've lost the float (inverted cup) off of a Torbeck valve. If you can't find it (under the syphon in the cistern?) then the simplest thing might be to buy a new Torbeck valve and fit the new float onto the old valve.

Sponsored Links
Thats one the one, did a google image search and it looks like ours, without the fancy bag though.
Cheers for all the help. Now i need to find somewhere that sells them at this time of night.

Does it look like this
p1720081_l.jpg

or like this?
p1812512_l.jpg

or like this?
p2938455_l.jpg

kierantaylor said:
Thats one the one, did a google image search and it looks like ours, without the fancy bag though.
Cheers for all the help. Now i need to find somewhere that sells them at this time of night.

Your DIY superstore shed is probably open until 8pm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back