Replacing a Bristan Thermosatic Cartridge for the 2nd time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone else had the following problem?:

I recently replaced the thermostatic cartridge in my Artisan Bar shower. It gave me piping hot water again - but only for a few days before the shower went lukewarm again. An engineer from British Gas has since verified that my entire central heating system is ok, and I have even tried adjusting the flow control valves nearest the shower - which doesn't solve the problem.

The shower valve is always roasting hot to touch, but the water never gets above lukewarm.

I have removed and checked the replacement cartridge and I'm 99% sure it doesn't allow as much movement as it did prior to installation (if that makes any sense).

It seems unlikely that a new thermostatic cartridge would break down so quickly - but as far as I am aware I have checked every other possibility and there is nothing else it could be.

Any thoughts/suggestion anyone?

Sponsored Links
Bristan had a bad batch of cartridges 6/7 years ago and many people (me included) got a free replacement as a result.

It is possible that some suppliers have still got bad stock I guess as I wouldn't imagine a huge stock turnaround.

Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Plumbed the right way round? Err...yes - hot to hot, and cold to cold. Same as before I swapped cartridges.

Has anyone else had the following problem?:

I recently replaced the thermostatic cartridge in my Artisan Bar shower. It gave me piping hot water again - but only for a few days before the shower went lukewarm again. An engineer from British Gas has since verified that my entire central heating system is ok, and I have even tried adjusting the flow control valves nearest the shower - which doesn't solve the problem.

The shower valve is always roasting hot to touch, but the water never gets above lukewarm.

I have removed and checked the replacement cartridge and I'm 99% sure it doesn't allow as much movement as it did prior to installation (if that makes any sense).

It seems unlikely that a new thermostatic cartridge would break down so quickly - but as far as I am aware I have checked every other possibility and there is nothing else it could be.

Any thoughts/suggestion anyone?

did you solve this problem as im having the same problem with my new bristan artisan shower?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back