replacing a double switch with a single dimmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all. Pardon me for my ignorance, but I seem to have a problem. I am trying to replace a double switch that is on two seperate circuits with a single dimmer switch. I called a gentleman from Lutron and he instructed me to cap one of the hot(black) wires and to connect the other hot wire to the dimmer. Having both load(white) wires connected to the dimmer should have been my solution, but only one of the lights works with this setup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

moved as posted in wrong forum (UK electrics)

Sponsored Links
timothy851 said:
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Different codes/colours/terminology apart, I struggle to see how you can replace two switches with one dimmer in any part of the world...

timothy851 said:
Good day all. Pardon me for my ignorance, but I seem to have a problem. I am trying to replace a double switch that is on two seperate circuits with a single dimmer switch. I called a gentleman from Lutron and he instructed me to cap one of the hot(black) wires and to connect the other hot wire to the dimmer. Having both load(white) wires connected to the dimmer should have been my solution, but only one of the lights works with this setup. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

it sounds like whoever wired it used the opposite color code for the switch drops from what you were expecting.

Sponsored Links
Yes, suggest you check exactly which wires are HOT using a meter. There's nothing wrong with the principle of what you are trying to do.

Back