Replacing a flouresent kitchen light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have bought a halogen down-lighter (4 x 50W bulbs) for the kitchen to replace the existing flouresent tube we have.

The problem is that there are three core cables running out of the ceiling into the existing light fitting and I have never needed to replace anything with this many wire cores before.

I've had a look and can't find a post that covers this although could someone offer some advice or point me to a post that already covers this?

Also, are there any considerations I need to make when replacing a flouresent with a halogen set?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
razorchips said:
The problem is that there are three core cables running out of the ceiling into the existing light fitting and I have never needed to replace anything with this many wire cores before.

I've had a look and can't find a post that covers this

This is bog standard and at the top of this forum is a post full of reference topics. There are some good diagrams here which explain exactly the situation you have.

Also, are there any considerations I need to make when replacing a flouresent with a halogen set?

The primary consideration should be: are you prepared to be really disappointed with the inadequate lighting you will have after replacement?

Part P applies here, AFAIK, though I'm not 100% on that

The primary consideration should be: are you prepared to be really disappointed with the inadequate lighting you will have after replacement?

Very good point from Ding, Replaced our spots with flourescent lights a while back*, it was amazing just how bad light the spots gave when compared to the replacement lights, my advise would be to leave the flouresecent light, they are ideal for kitchens.

*in december 04, I mean, err ;)

I've got 4 x R80 eyeballs in my kitchen, fitted with Genura lamps - plenty bright enough.

Sponsored Links
Don't.... I took out a 5 foot fluorescent "because my wife thought it looked ugly". As I needed to do stuff to the ceiling I put in a temporary 4 x R50 fitting......the light is crap.....working in shadow on all the work surfaces that don't have under-cupboard lights. Now the plastering's been done I'm looking at at least 10 lv 35/50's to get an equivalent illumination.....expensive, Part P etc. Spend the money on a quality fluorescent fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back