Replacing a light switch/multimeter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know a lot about electric and I just bought some replacent light switches for my house along with a multimeter. Can anyone tell me how to read the different symbols on the multimeter or tell me a good website to go to? I basically want to remove the fuses and use the multimeter to make sure the power is off. Thank you - Rob

Sponsored Links
Don't want to sound cocky, but have you read the instructions that came with the multimeter or talked to the store owner if they are knowledgeable?

I bought the multimeter at wal mart and the instuctions dont have any detail at all. That was my plan to read those first. I think it just has too many features on it.

If you want to use the MM to test for voltage, plug one lead into COM and the other into the socket marked (amongst others) V, then set the dial to the correct voltage setting - 110VAC in US?

Sponsored Links
yes 110 in US. So should i set the MM on 200 or 500 or does it matter? Those are my 2 options as far as I can tell.

Set meter to a voltage range which comfortably includes the anticipated voltage of the item to be tested. So for expected 110v a meter setting of 200v would be adequate, whereas over here with 230v we'd have to use a setting of 500v, much more manly ;)

Back