Replacing a radiator in closed (combi boiler) system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a reasonably capable DIY plumber and have done most types of re-plumbing/repairs etc. However I have no experience of draining down, re-filling on combi boiler systems. Hence my query here.

I am installing a new downstairs bathroom and I need to replace the rusting radiator that is there at the moment. I have full access to the pipe work under the floor boards as there is a 3' foot gap below the floor to the foundations in which to crawl around.

The new radiator (plus TRV) is a different length to the one that is being replaced so can't just connect up to existing pipework.

Plan A.
1. Shut off both valves of old radiator, go under floor with bucket, pipe cutter and copper push-fit isolating valve (set to "off").
2. Cut through one of the pipes, expect a drench of water, push on push-fit valve.
3. Ditto with other pipe.
4. Remove old radiator, re do pipework.
5. Connect new pipework to isolation valves and open valves.
6. Bleed radiator, check combi boiler pressure and re-fill if necessary.

Plan B.
Drain whole system, new radiator etc and re-fill with new rust inhibitor.

Would Plan A work? My main concern is the amount of water coming from the cut pipe before I cap it with the valve - seeing that it is a closed (ie pressurised) system?

Thoughts - better suggestions?

Thanks.
Rog

Sponsored Links
Yeah do plan A it sound like fun let me know how you get on....On the other hand you could isolate all your other rads on the system with there valves drain the pipes do your rad fill it with inhibitor and top the sytem back up open, your valves, top up a bit more if you have to, bleed them but you prob won't get anything out and hey presto your done.

Sorry I wasn't meant be smart just kidding but I did give him my opinion bamber

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back