Replacing a 'sensor' security light with wall mounted light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to the building of a conservatory I have removed a security light from the outside wall of my house and have attempted to replace it with a wall mounted light.
The wiring in the wall is a three - core plus earth. Yellow, Blue, Red and green/ yellow neutral.
I have followed the instructions and attached red to live, blue to neutral and green/ yellow to earth. I have not attached the yellow to anything. The light works but does not is on constantly. The switch is not turning it off.
Please assist. I have now disconnected it and insulated the wires...awaiting responses.

Sponsored Links
Is that a switch in the wall light ?- in which case look hard at the light fitting -power should come out of the wall, go through the switch then on to the light.
Iy you mean the switch that used to control the security light, open the switch up and see what they have done. It is quite possible that there is both a steady and a switched live feed to the securituy light, if it was the type that had a sensor. If you cant work out what is happening, photograph it and post it, or if it looks simple, describe what you see.
It is possible that the 'yellow' core is a switched live, but it might just be hanging free at both ends, where did it go to on the old light fitting?
There is no particular standardisation for the the use of the colours in 3 core cables in this context, so you really need to look at both ends if you can. (blue neutral or switched live, yellow steady live or switched live, red steady live or switched live, are the common uses, but not the only possible combinations) Guessing may take you some time !
regards M.

Thank you Mapj1.
In answer to your questions...
1. The switch controlled the sensor light. If the switch was off, the sensor light would not work.
2. The yellow wire was connected to the sensor light at a connection marked with a '*'.

Any more ideas?

Baldy

Sponsored Links
try connecting the yellow to the live terminal of the light instead of the red.

my guess is red is permanent live yellow is switched live and blue is neutral.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back