Replacing broken window hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Having recently moved into a new house only to discover that around half of the windows have broken hinges (never opened them during visits :oops: ), I decided to try to replace them myself as it looks straightforward enough..

They are all 'broke' the same way: basically the sliding part has snapped that joins the metal strips together so they don't close properly* without some wiggling about! The piccy below shows one of them

brokewindow.jpg

I'd some investigation on the net and found that I needed 10inch , 13mm stack height friction stay hinges which I duly ordered. However, when I tried to do the replacement, they are too wide and won't fit in the channel in the window. It seems that the windows in this house all have a channel width of 15mm but all the hinges on the net that I could find are 18mm :confused:

Does anyone know of anywhere where I can get hinges of this size OR am I on a wild goose chase and these hinges are custom made for these windows and I'll need to replace the actual windows/frames themselves (which I truly hope not as I'm skint after the move!!)?

Thanks for any help

Shaun

*[Edit:they don't actually close properly at all, you can feel the wind coming through them even when 'closed']

Sponsored Links
I'll assume that the lack of response indicates that these are non-standard hinges :cry:
I continued searching around the net but couldn't find nothing other than the 18mm channel width hinges so looks like I'm going to have to replace the windows. Anyone got any recommendations for the Stoke-on-Trent area?

I've had one of the front little windows out again and re-measured but they are definately 15mm :(

The piece that's broke in all of them is the plastic 'runner' that holds the two metal strips together. As you can see in the picture below, the two pieces circled red should actually be one piece holding in the piece circled green. This is what is causing the windows to not shut properly.

brokewindowlarge.jpg

With winter coming up and a 1 & 3 year old to consider, looks like I'm going have to get the windows fully replaced properly.

Next time I move house I'll give it a proper inspection, lesson learned! :cry:

Thanks for the links though. Had a look through both and they are all the same 18/18.5mm width as everywhere else. :(

Sponsored Links
Blade_187 said:
With winter coming up and a 1 & 3 year old to consider, looks like I'm going have to get the windows fully replaced properly.
I wouldn't go as far as that yet, what area are you in?

I'm wondering if your rebate will take 18mm, just because they are 15mm, doesn't mean they are the correct one(?)

Also is it possible to make a new plastic to replace it?

I can't understand why they are broken, the tension must be wrong or the hinges are incorrect.

masona said:
I'm wondering if your rebate will take 18mm, just because they are 15mm, doesn't mean they are the correct one(?)

I don't think so. I tried to fit the 18mm into the channel that the original hinges came out of and they wouldn't fit. That's when I realised they needed thinner hinges.

masona said:
Also is it possible to make a new plastic to replace it?

I did consider this but not sure how to do it. Interestingly enough, I checked some of the non-broken windows and a couple of them have different (black) sliders that makes me think that they have already been replaced.

masona said:
I can't understand why they are broken, the tension must be wrong or the hinges are incorrect.

I would think that they may have just been cheap windows given that I have 6 windows all with the same fault :(

I have a window guy (from the local!) coming around to have a look this week so will let you know how I get on in case anyone else has the same problem in future.

Thanks for your help

Looking for some replacement friction stays (hinges) myself. I have exactly the same problem as you. Found the following site with 15mm if you are still looking.

http://www.safensoundltd.com/

I haven't managed to remove my damaged ones yet to measure them properly. Unfortunately they are rivetted on. Any tips on how to remove?

mrk82 said:
I haven't managed to remove my damaged ones yet to measure them properly. Unfortunately they are rivetted on. Any tips on how to remove?
Do you mean rivetted to the window frame?

To undo rivets is to drill them out

Yep rivetted to window frame - drill it is then

mrk82 said:
Looking for some replacement friction stays (hinges) myself. I have exactly the same problem as you. Found the following site with 15mm if you are still looking.

http://www.safensoundltd.com/

I know it's a little late but I've only just started re-looking at this problem having never got them fixed!! I looked at the site you mentioned and ordered a pair of hinges on Monday, they came yesterday and fit perfect! Have now ordered hinges for the rest of the broken windows.

Thank you very much for the link, I will finally get to fix my windows now, lol!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back