replacing double rocker switch with double dimmer switch ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 wall side lights + 1 main light were on a double rocker wall switch, there is only one switch for this room.

I Changed double rocker switch for a brushed metal double dimmer switch. there was four wires. Earth wire, a yellow wire, a blue wire with red sheath at bottom and a red wire.

I put earth into new earth slot in back of switch.

on one side of switch i connected the following.

I put yellow wire into wavey slot with line through it.
Blue wire into L2.
Red wire into L1.

Main light works fine........ But what wires join over to other dimmer to get it working the side lights please ? tried joining Red from L1 to L1 and no joy, then tried running L1, L2 & Wavy over to other L1 L2 & Wavy but one dimmer overides the other and I get main light dimming side lights.... any advice much appreciated. cheers Stu.

Sponsored Links
Beforehand I take it there was a small loop of wire connecting across the two switches on the old one? You will need to connect permanent live to both switches (educated guess red), connect the red to the common terminal (arrow/squiggly line) on one switch and connect from this a loop of wire to the common terminal on the other switch. Connect the yellow to the L1 on one switch and the blue to the L1 on the other.

You should have 2 wires into each switch. I suspect (and it is the norm) that the red is permenant live, so this needs linking to the other switch, to the ~ terminals.

yellow to L1 of one switch, blue to L1 of the other switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks sparky123, genius advice mate. All working a treat now and the wife is looking well pleased with me. (very rare that!) Much obliged to you and everyone else that responded. All the best, Stu

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back