Replacing electric double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double electric built in oven which was professionally fitted.
I now want to replace it with exactly the same type of oven is it a simple enough task to just disconnect the old and connect the new. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Should be straightforward - I ake it the rating of the new oven is the same as the old?

Help with the lifting would be useful.

Don't forget that (if you care abot these things) the law says that you have to notify your local council's Building Control dept in advance...

Ban, he does not need to do anything of the like, Changing an appliance is NOT notifiable work, even if it is hardwired.

Sponsored Links
FWL - if you read the law, you will see that it says:

"electrical installation" means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer's side of the electricity supply meter;

This means that the fitting of fixed electrical equipment is a controlled service governed by the requirements of the Building Regulations, and defines the term "electrical installation"

The term "electrical installation" is used in the amendment to Schedule 2A to define the classes of persons who are exempt from the requirements to give building notices or deposit full plans.

Fixed electrical equipment does not appear in Schedule 2B as being exempt from the requirement to submit a building notice or full plans.

divider.gif

LesleyB - please note that those documents that you reference are only guidelines, and the little leaflet one is seriously misleading. If you acted on the basis of what they say, and ended up in court, their "official" status would be a bl**dy good defence, but please do not make the mistake of thinking that they in any way define the law.

Ban, the problem is the Governments own definitions. You see Kitchen Equipment for Domestic Use is classified as White Goods, and as such legally described as an appliance, as such the Building regs do not cover these. I understand the point you make regarding Fixed equipment, and I actually agree they are, as I have commented on in the past, however legally the Government cannot force notification on people, otherwise such equipment as fridges, freezers, washing machines and other such appliances that can be built in would be notifiable..image the paperwork headache for councils..

It is another example of the ODPM drafting and implementing legislation that has not be propoerly considered, thought through or it's implications and effects truly understood.

FWL_Engineer said:
Ban, the problem is the Governments own definitions. You see Kitchen Equipment for Domestic Use is classified as White Goods, and as such legally described as an appliance, as such the Building regs do not cover these.
I believe they do. There is no exemption for "appliances", and they are undoubtedly "electrical equipment", and therefore if they are "fixed" then the regulations do apply

I understand the point you make regarding Fixed equipment, and I actually agree they are, as I have commented on in the past, however legally the Government cannot force notification on people, otherwise such equipment as fridges, freezers, washing machines and other such appliances that can be built in would be notifiable..image the paperwork headache for councils..
I really don't think that they thought about that when they wrote the legislation. They may not have intended it to say what it does, but IMO there is no doubt about what it has actually ended up saying.

Can they force people to notify? Of course not - it's impossible to police. Can they force people to use registered electricians to install fixed equipment? Probably not, but let's not forget that Part P was brought in because electricians wanted a legal cosh to grab hold of electrical work in kitchens, bathrooms and gardens because of the huge amount of money being spent in those areas by householders. Rising house prices have given them a large equity surplus and have made the cost of moving house crippling, and with low interest rates people can easily afford to liberate some of the equity and spend it improving their property.

It is another example of the ODPM drafting and implementing legislation that has not be propoerly considered, thought through or it's implications and effects truly understood.
Absolutely, but it wouldn't be the first time that a government had enacted poorly thought out legislation.

Note that the inclusion of fixed electrical equipment, and the lack of exclusion of anything that we might regard as an "appliance" is a blanket one. It doesn't just affect built-in kitchen equipment, it also means that the fitting of a plasma TV screen to a wall becomes a controlled service, and therefore notifiable....

Ban, had a chat with my local Building Control Officer last night, as he was in the local Alcohol Servery :LOL: and I asked him opinion on this hot potato.

Dave actually said that as far as Braintree Council are aware (and most Essex Councils that he is aware of), Kitchen appliances fall outside the remit of Part P, whether fixed or not, and whether they fall into the remit of the General Building regulations is open to interpretation. Some believe they do if they are installed during initial construction of the building, however if a kitchen is fitted etc, they do not feel this an appropriate use of the regulations.

He said that the Guidelines they had recieved from the ODPM are rather grey and open to misinterpretation, however in them it does say that Kitchen appliances and other white goods are excluded from the ammendment. It does not differentiate between fixed and unfixed..

So it would appear that the ODPM and Councils are confused by this quirk too!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back