Replacing "external door" with internal door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Since I've had a conservatory built, my "external" kitchen door now leads into an internal area (the conservatory). The door is in need of replacement. What would be involved in changing the framing and threshold to take an internal door with a bathroom-style lock? I'd ideally like the threshold taken away to leave a flat-as-possible transition from kitchen to conservatory.

The current door is 78x33, the frame is 83x35 1/4.

One door fitter (from the local freebie newspaper) I phoned said I would be better off just buying a new external door.

Sponsored Links
If you remove the external door your conservatory becomes an extension - just a point that may cause problems when you come to sell the place if anyone notices.

IanDB said:
If you remove the external door your conservatory becomes an extension - just a point that may cause problems when you come to sell the place if anyone notices.
Correct :!:

The only difference between internal & external door, the external door are thicker, so you can still use the external door and take the bottom cill away if you want to. You may have to lower the frame down or better still start again with a new door frame. It is a very grey area but you could use internal door and nobody will noticed it, only if you do away with the door altogether then it become a problem. The external door would be better for security protection plus your household insurance is covered correctly.

Sponsored Links
You will have dificulty finding an internal door of this size off the shelf let alone one 2" taller if the threshold is removed, it will also be thinner so the rebate or stops will be wrong.

Either fit an external door into the frame as it is, get a new purpose made frame to take a custom made door or have a very thick frame made to take a standard 78"x30" internal door. First option will be the cheapest by far.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back