Replacing fascias on flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tell me if this is a stupid question (I'm sure someone will!) but is it possible to replace the fascia boards around a flat roof without re-roofing? I have a flat extension roof, 3.5m x 4m with fascias on three sides. The roof is about 7 years old and very sound, no sign of problems at all, but the fascias have rotted - my guess is that they weren't replaced when the roof was done. If possible I want to have them replaced with uPVC without re-doing the whole roof.

Sponsored Links
it is standard practice for the roofer to tack his edge flashing drips to the fascia and then fold them back over onto the roof so you may damage the felt by removing the old fascia.

we have had limited success by bolstering the nails through before trying to remove the fascia. this does leave the drip part of the flashing un-fixed though. a sealant may need to be nozzled up the back of the drip once the new fascia has been fitted.

thanks, I feared as much. What am looking at for a roof that size (just the felting)? £2k or so?

dunc_r said:
thanks, I feared as much. What am looking at for a roof that size (just the felting)? £2k or so?
No, a lot less than that, your roof is only 7 yrs old so it shouldn't need doing unless it's bad or was you talking about the upvc fascia?

Sponsored Links
I meant the whole roof - didn't realise just the flashings could be done - clueless with roofs, hence the question!

So, basically the flashings round the edge can be taken off, fascias replaced and new flashings put back to the original covering? Would most roofers do the whole job?

dunc_r said:
Would most roofers do the whole job?
Only if they are trying get more money out of you, read noseall 2nd paragraph

masona - sorry, what I meant was would a roofer remove the flashings, fit new fascias and replace the flashings, or would I have to get a different trade to fit the fascias?

A carpenter or a good handyman can do it. No need to remove the flashing, if the flashing do get damaged then a roofer can repair it.

What area are you in?

Oh well, you're 60 miles away from me, I don't know many people in Kent area :cry:

as mentioned earlier, you don't have to replace the entire roof just the mineral flashings. these are prone to going a little bit brittle over the years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back