Replacing Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have just removed a particularly tasteless laminate floor in the hallway and in general the floorboards beneath seem in pretty good condition (to be exposed). One area of the floor though has had the floorboards removed and chipboard placed on top of the joists. From another project I have some matching floorbaords that can be re-used however the tongue/groove parts of the boards are in very poor condition. This is due to when I lifted the floorboards, the 100mm nails were through the tongues - much of these then broke when I lifted the boards.

What would be the best way to fix these boards back down and how could I fill between them to prevent dust coming up (the insulation underneath is a combination of sawdust and dirt!!). I'd rather not expose new nails as they are not shown anywhere else on the remaining floor.

Cheers,

/A

Sponsored Links
You could try to remake the grooves again with a router on all four sides of the boards. Then using what is called a 'spring' = loose tongue to connect the boards to each other. Only thing is, this is normally used for floating method, but I think if you place the loose tongue in one board, then secretly nail it to board and joist you can slide the next board in etc.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back