Replacing gas oven with an electric one.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I have a separate gas oven and gas hob, which came with the house. The hob is fine and but I was told by the gas engineer recently not to spend any more money on the oven. I should like to replace the gas oven with an electric one but what would this involve? Presumably I would need to have the gas supply to the oven sealed off and then an electricity supply provided for the new electric oven? Would I be correct in thinking this would therefore be a multi-disciplinary undertaking, involving the use of a gas fitter to remove the cooker and make the former supply safe and then an electrician to establish a new connection? All answers gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The oven might have been fitted with a bayonet coupling, which seals itself when disconnected (it unhooks just like a bayonet lightbulb), but its still best to have it properly capped off, AFAIK, they aren't to be relied on to perfectly seal. (Though we had a bayonet end, uncapped in our kitchen for a good few years with no probs)

If the oven has an electric ignition, then it might just be plugged in. Single electric ovens usually plug in too! So you might not need an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back