replacing internal doors

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo scottc1978

not quite shure why you mention the hinges!!!!

usualy when you fit new doors you just reuse the hinges if they are up to it
the biggest part of fitting a door is shooting in the door in[cutting the door to fit the opening]
then the hinge pockets and the furniture [doorlock and handles ]

if you change the hinges you they may fit the same holes but more likely to be nearly the same which is worse than quite a bit out

The hinges are brass but we are changing them to chrome/silver to go match other fittings.

So, would we able to use the old holes?

you have no way off telling the holes may fit they aint standard

you often get two holes matching whilst the other two dont ;)

you either take a hindge with you and match the hinges up [fairly pointless as they are likly to only have what they have]

or fill in the holes that dont match with headless match sticks or wood cut to fit making shure its a tight fit to avoid the screws trying to find the old holes

are you actualy changing the doors as well!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
If you're determined to change the hinges, then for internal doors you might consider lift-off hinges for the new ones. They are tremendously useful when decorating or carrying large furniture through. If you unscrew the hinges to do it,you may find (I do) that the door doesn't hang quite the same when you put it back, even using the same hinges and screwholes.

Persinally I wouldn't fit new hinges just to change the colour, I'd just paint them.

Yip, changing the doors as well. I was planning to take a hinge with me and match them up, if that fails i may well opt to use the old ones.

Another thing if you dont mind. Are there doors available that are pre-finished and require no painting/staining etc?

We're looking at the white moulded types.

the nearest youll get is the white paneled doors but even they still need painting :cry: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back